The No Such Thing as Bad Weather Vacation

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Via Ferrata

Back at the lodge after our first hike our guide, Gary, casually asked if we would like to do something ‘a bit more exciting’ the next day. Having no idea what he had in mind we enthusiastically said ‘YES’. Our first hint of what lay ahead should have been the name of the place; Nimbus Tower. It is not customary to name things with gently sloping sides ‘tower’. Second should have been the climbing harness and helmets we were issued. Third should have been our luck with the weather. As you might expect today was the darkest, wettest day to date. So began the best day of our ‘NO SUCH THING AS BAD WEATHER’ vacation.

5 comments:

Todd said...

The ridge lines between the 'steps' were narrow and snow covered. It is snowing hard by now. Although we were disappointed not to have amazing views, we both suspect we avoided being dizzy by not being able to see the 1000 feet to the ground below.

Todd said...

Photo 11:
This is the one point all day that 'freaked me out'. We are ~ 1500 or more feet up. This 4x4 board spans a gap of about 6-8 feet. Not so bad if you are tall but @ 5 feet even I could barely reach that cable Tim is holding on to with ease. So I went across on my toes leaning out over the abyss so I could hold onto the cable... Glad I hadn't seen the movie Cliffhanger in a while.....

Todd said...

Photo 12:
Note the climbers behind time coming down from one of the steps.

Todd said...

Photo 13:
Although these rebar 'staples' as I began to think of them were relatively close together that was not always the case. There were a number of times I found myself having to simply pull myself up to find a foothold. At those times I was grateful for every push up, pull up, burpee, thruster etc that I have been a part of our Crossfit training since Jan.

Todd said...

Photo 15:
Interestingly since we were the last group of the season the guides were actually removing the wood slats after we were all across. There really was no where to go but forward.